Saturday, December 26, 2009

BeeArt


This little guy/girl landed on the my cold frame plastic just as I had finished putting the plastic on the frame. I was getting ready to photograph the finished project...and I spotted this ittybittytinything....on the plastic. Not quite a honey bee...and not a bumblebee. It's a 'beetweener,' and no, this is not the scientific name. It the name I'm giving this little beeauty because I do not know what type of bee it is. The colors are what prompted me to put the cropped photo in my "ideas for drawing" folder. Sometime the idea stays in my special idea folder for months and even years...before it makes it to my "do it now" pile.

I was in the mood to draw on Christmas Eve day and spent most of the day doing fun creative stuff...like a big kid with a coloring book....only better and more time consuming! I'm so pleased with my new bee graphic...


1 comment:

sister*bluebird said...

The little fly you photographed and rendered is a Drone Fly, because it looks like a honey bee drone. The family is Eristalis. I think its an Eristalis Transversa, but you would need a professional to confirm that. Your blog kept popping up on my image searches, so I thought I would check it out. I am also an artist and I also photograph pollinators, so this was a very cool discovery. You might be interested in participating in the Bee Hunter project. If you go to the Discover life site: http://www.discoverlife.org/pa/ph/#Photographers
And you can see other's albums. They enter more than just bees. The Bee Hunter is for a North American Bee Census.
Have fun with the camera! And keep making that art!