Sunday, March 29, 2009

Spring Showers


Is it any wonder that we have a lot of greenery here in the southeastern part of the U.S.? I read somewhere just recently that Alabama is the wettest state in the lower 48. On average, Alabama gets 55 inches of rain per year (Mobile gets 65 inches)...compared to Seattle's mere 37 inches. Even during a drought year, Alabama gets more rain than its sisters and brothers.

This video was taken yesterday, March 28, 2009. Today is a gloriously sunny spring day. The lake has receded closer to its normal levels, the kayak is at rest on solid ground and the bog lilies beneath the catalpa (catawba) tree are drying out their feet.

I really do love spring in this part of the country. Other places I've lived offer a charade of spring. Often cruel in its intentions. But Alabama invites me to start anew...sincere in its welcome to begin fresh...and maybe a bit chagrined, knowing what's to come and begging me to enjoy its offerings before the summer thermostat gets cranked up to HIGH.

3 comments:

eileen hull said...

Wow- that was really coming down! We had rain yesterday too. H and I are both sick :-( colds and just yucky... Is that a little swimming area you dug out? Cool idea...

rhonda edgar said...

An absolutely beautifully written entry, Kim. That last paragraph is pure poetry. You have amazing talent in so many areas!

Kimberly Ylitalo said...

Once again, I love our little fan club. Makes me feel loved. Thanks, you guys!
Eileen...I hope you and H are feeling MUCH better by now...being sick just sucks. And that blue you see in the video is just the liner that is underneath the above-ground pool (the magic pool!) we put up from May-September. Ugly in winter...blue plastic....but oh well...we live in Alabama, so it's okay. :-)
And Rhonda...I was so touched by your kind words about my writing. I always feel a little self-conscience about my writing...so THANK YOU! I like to write and want to continue doing more of it. Your comments are warmly encouraging.