Sunday, October 4, 2015

God is the master of perfect

It started with a pot lid. No Captain America shield on hand?  No problem. Use what you have at the ready and transform everyday, ordinary items into whatever you need them to be.  This is how Gavin handled the challenge of the Avenger's shield.  His fanciful imagination filled in for the item he didn't have.

The pot lid may have been where this play-date started but I couldn't leave it there.  Gavin's resourcefulness triggered my own ideas about shields, protection, magic and how to use materials I have on hand to create a shield of Gavin's very own.  Couldn't think of a better way to spend time with my Captain America.

The photos from this project speak for themselves.  Using some very basic materials pulled from the recycle bin (plastic oatmeal lid and hummus container) and a couple of brads, we were off and running.  Next, a bunch of colored card stock cut and layered for the emblem. We were just in time for 'saving the world' and doing battle with our enemies.  After putting it all together, I decided to laminate the paper layers so that it would stand up to any water hazards. 

Funny little story while Gavin and I were copying the design of Captain America's shield (found on the internet). We had cut all the circles and at the end I traced and cut a white star.  As Gavin and I were gluing the layers of paper together, I noticed that my star was not the same size in relation to the circles as the original design I was copying from and I said, "Darn! The star is supposed to fit inside the blue circle."  And Gavin said, "I'm fine with that."  And then he said, "God is the master of perfect."  Out of the mouths of babes.

This project was something Gavin and I did together over four months ago.  Since then, Gavin has turned six, Jeff has finished hiking the Appalachian Trail, I spent over a month in Idaho visiting family and friends (patiently awaiting this inconvenient stress fracture in my foot to heal)  and now we arrive at autumn, October and catapult to the end of another year.  Gavin spent the night here at the house last night. We've moved beyond pot lid shields to playing with large sticks (found in the yard) fashioned into swords.  Here's to many more years of creative imagining.  I'm in!
























No comments: