Sunday, February 15, 2009

I am a non-smoker

Today marks one week. I'm a little stunned and still in shock (and still going through a bit of withdrawal--although they say the worst is over). Little did I know when I woke up a week ago, smoked my ritualistic morning cigarettes...drank coffee and prepared to go out to Dale Co. Lake with Jeff for a little run....that I would never smoke again. How does a person (more specifically ME) go from a 31-year habit/addiction....to quitting Cold Turkey and saying, "I'm done?" Well, it really was as simple as that. I'm shaking my head and wondering why it took me this long to do it. It's all about fear, facing the fear and overcoming the fear. I still have new habits to form and a couple of challenges ahead. But according to Joel at www.whyquit.com if I focus on the "one day at a time" philosophy...I'll work on those future challenges when they're in front of me and in the meantime, never take another puff.

3 comments:

rhonda edgar said...

Keep up the good work, Kim. quitting is such a win/win situation. Not only will your health benefit greatly but just think of all the money you wont be spending on cigs. Hey, you can spend that money on art supplies!

Kimberly Ylitalo said...

Your words of encouragement mean so much, Rhonda. THANK YOU! Still struggling and pretty much just want to sit and cry. Great, huh? I know that everything you said is RIGHT on!!! Thanks....and we'll chat more soon!

Maggie said...

My darling daughter........ I'm there with you...holding your hand while you succeed in this life-extending battle with the cigarettes......... I want you to far outlive me and enjoy all the years with your children & grandchildren.. They are the BEST BLESSINGS ONE CAN ENJOY! Mom