Saturday, December 20, 2008


While visiting Abram in South Carolina recently, I met a man in the parking lot of our Super 8 Motel. Let's call this man Larry. I was standing next to our van, smoking a cigarette and drinking coffee from a Polish Pottery mug I had brought from home. I noticed his Idaho license plates and asked Larry where he hailed from in Idaho. He said "about 30 miles from the Canadian border." I asked, "Bonners Ferry?" Larry smiled at me, surprised that I new where Idaho was, let alone Bonners Ferry. Here is his story in a nutshell. This man and his wife drove all the way from North Idaho to Fort Jackson, South Carolina, to attend their daughter's graduation from Army boot camp. I told him I thought this was the coolest thing ever...and although I didn't say it to Larry...I thought this a perfect example of a parent's love for their child.

Fair winds and following seas, Abram.

No comments: